Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Song and Excellence


Originally ​​Posted by Heather Lee on December 31, 2012
This Christmas Day, my husband, Brian, and I were watching Ms. Katherine Jenkins singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir as we opened our gifts to each other. I’m a sucker for a great choir, and even though I can’t carry a tune in a bucket, I love to sing (usually in the car or alone in the house where no one else has to be afflicted with my caterwauling). When I wistfully expressed my wish to sing as well as Ms. Jenkins, Brian turned to me and said, “You do. You just do it with words rather than your voice.”

That is the best compliment I’ve ever received, and in addition to cementing his Husband of the Century Award, it turned my thoughts to the coming year and my goals for Verb Forge. The theme for this year is New.

Do something new. Take on a new subject matter or project type to expand my brain space, because I thrive on learning.

Go somewhere new. Travel to a project location I’ve never visited before, because I enjoy experiencing different cultures.

Help someone new. Work within my community to help local organizations reach their audiences, because I want to contribute to our foundation.

Music has always inspired me to push my limits and improve, both personally and professionally: listening to such talent makes me want to achieve the same level of excellence in everything I do. As we work together for a fantastic year in 2013, remember to keep a good song in your head along with your goals. Success is even better with music.

No comments: